Monday, May 7, 2007

Welcome to Gardnerville

I'd like to introduce you to my home town. Cori and I just returned from 4 1/2 wonderful days with family and friends there. Every trip home, we find ourselves dreaming up schemes that will help us move back. What could be so great about a little ranch town in Northern Nevada? What could inspire the desire to spend our lives in a place that is barely a blip on the map? Well, among its surprising amenities, Gardnerville boasts:
the home of the W* family
amazing views of the Sierra Nevada's

out door everything all year round

great proximity to Lake Tahoe (only 15-20 min. to South Lake)

3 Basque restaurants

visits to Virginia City of Mark Twain lore and the great camel races
(and the best rib eye sandwich at the Bucket o' Blood Saloon according to Cori)

smog free air

small town feel without the small town living

the piano that took the brunt of my emotional ups and downs during high school

an impressive number of Saints

accessibility to Reno (1 hour) and San Fran (3 hours)--a girl has gotta shop

millions of stars at night

seasons-- snow in the winter, green in the spring, hot in the summer, we love the changes

the Ponderosa Claim, home of the Cartwright's and the famed series Bonanza

enough memories to stuff a book shelf
Maybe I haven't convinced you. I have to admit that even I forget how great this place is. However, I completely understand what possessed my dad to move our family here. We had lived in So. California for nearly 14 years, and then within less than a year, my parents relocated dad's business, built a home atop an alfalfa field and moved us to the country. Its grown and changed so much in the 13 years my family has been there. But something that will never change about Gardnerville is that like only a few other places (London, Washington D.C., and BYU), it will always be a part of me.


The dream house my parents built together
not pictured: the barn and horses, dad's orchard, mom's daffodils


The view from our front porch

2 comments:

Jess said...

I love your new blog design! And your hometown does sound wondeful. Can I move there? You guys have a very busy life--me one weekend and NV the very next weekend! Wowser.

Heidi said...

You're absolutely right, Jesse--Gardnerville is heaven on earth.